Khajuraho has the largest group of medieval Hindu and Jain temples, famous for their erotic sculpture.
A UNESCO world heritage site in central India, Khajuraho is a famous tourist and archaeological site known for its sculptured temples dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu, and Jain patriarchs. Khajuraho was one of the capitals of the Chandela kings, who from the 9th to the 11th century CE developed a large realm, which at its height included almost all of what is now Madhya Pradesh state. Khajuraho continued its religious importance until the 14th century (Ibn Batuta was impressed by it) but was afterwards largely forgotten; its remoteness probably saved it from the desecration that Muslim conquerors generally inflicted on Hindu monuments. In 1838 a British army captain, TS Burt, employed by the Asiatic Society in Calcutta, came upon information that led him to the rediscovery of the complex of temples in the jungle in Khajuraho. Of the 85 original temples-most constructed of hard river sandstone-about 20 are still reasonably well preserved.
Both internally and externally the temples are richly carved with excellent sculptures that are frequently sensual and, at times, sexually explicit.
Kemo D. 7