Kemo D. (kemo_d7) wrote,
Kemo D.

Bruce and Brandon Lee

The Mystery of Bruce Lee's Death

Bruce Lee, dressed in the traditional Chinese outfit he wore in the movie _Enter The Dragon_, was laid to rest in Lakeview Cemetery in Seattle in late July of 1973. But long before Lee's sudden and tragic death in a Hong Kong apartment at age 32, rumors were rife throughout the Orient that he had been wounded or killed in fights.


"One day, I got a long-distance call from Hong Kong's largest newspaper," Lee recalled. "They asked me if I was still alive. 'Guess who you are talking to?' I replied."


Thus, when Lee actually did die, speculation abounded as to the cause. The rumors ranged from Lee being killed by Hong Kong triads (gangsters) because he refused to pay them protection money - —something that was common for Chinese movie stars to do at that time —to his being killed by an angry martial artist's dim mak (death touch) strike. Some people claimed Lee was cursed—he had just bought a house in Hong Kong that was supposed to be haunted—or that he had died while making love to actress Betty Tingpei, or that he had angered the Chinese martial arts community by teaching foreigners, and that he had been killed in a challenge match.

Many Chinese believed Lee was the victim of too much gum Ilk in his training, while others cited drug use as the cause for his sudden demise. Still others believed that Lee's fate was sealed at birth, that it was in the stars. And, finally, there are those who think Lee's death was staged.


The facts of the case are this: Lee died after falling into a coma. The coroner's report was inconclusive, and medical authorities came up with five reasons for Lee's untimely death. However, they all agreed that it was caused by a cerebral edema (a swelling of the brain caused by a congestion of fluid). But what caused the edema became a matter of speculation. For the most part, the course of events on that fateful July day in 1973 can be pieced together. 


According to Lee's wife, Linda, Bruce met film producer Raymond Chow at 2 p.m. at home to discuss the making of Game of Death. They worked until 4 p.m., and then drove together to the home of Betty Tingpei, a Taiwanese actress who was to also have a leading role in the film. The three went over the script at Tingpei's home, and then Chow left to attend a dinner meeting. 

A short time later, Lee complained of a headache and Tingpei gave him a tablet of Equagesic—a kind of super aspirin. Apart from that, Lee reportedly consumed nothing but a couple of soft drinks.


At around 7:30 p.m., Lee lay down for a nap and was still asleep when Chow called to ask why he and Tingpei had not yet shown up for dinner as planned. The actress told Chow she could not wake Lee. The ensuing autopsy found traces of cannabis in Lee's stomach, but the significance of this discovery is debatable. Some believe the cannabis caused a chemical reaction that led to the cerebral edema, but the coroner's inquiry refutes this theory. In fact, one doctor was quoted as saying that the cannabis being in Lee's stomach was "no more significant than if Bruce had drunk a cup of tea that day."


Dr. R.R. Lycette of Queen Elizabeth Hospital viewed Lee's death as a hypersensitivity to one or more of the compounds found in the headache tablet he consumed that afternoon. Although his skull showed no injury, his brain had swollen considerably, from 1,400 to 1,575 grams. None of the blood vessels were blocked or broken, so the possibility of a hemorrhage was ruled out. All of Lee's internal organs were meticulously examined, and the only "foreign" substance to be found was the Equagesic.


Chow came to the apartment and could not wake Lee either. A doctor was summoned, and he spent 10 minutes attempting to revive the martial artist before sending him by ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. By the time he reached the hospital, Lee was dead.

Foul play was immediately suspected as having a role in Lee's passing. Chow appeared on television to try to settle the public furor that quickly developed. He explained what happened, omitting only the fact that Lee had not died at home. The press soon uncovered the truth, however, and demanded to know what Chow was trying to cover up. R.D. Teare, a professor of forensic medicine at the University of London who had overseen more than 90,000 autopsies, was called in and declared that it was basically impossible for the cannabis to be a factor in Lee's death. In Teare's opinion, the edema was caused by hypersensitivity to either meprobamate or aspirin, or a combination of both. His view was accepted by authorities, and a determination of "misadventure" was stamped on Lee's death.


Strangely, an early death was a conceivability that Lee had contemplated with surprising frequency. According to his wife Linda, he had no wish to live to a ripe old age because he could not stand the idea of losing the physical abilities he had strived so hard to achieve. 

"If I should die tomorrow," he used to say, "I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do.
You can't expect more from life." 

Brandon Lee's Death

One of the most visually stunning, romantic yet disturbing films ever made was "The Crow." Written and originally drawn by James O'Barr, "The Crow" is the tale of Eric Draven, an aspiring musician who is getting ready to marry the love of his world, Shelley.

"The Crow" was finally brought to screen in the mid-1990s and beautifully executed on film with a monochromatic moodiness. The actor playing Eric Draven was Brandon Lee, son of the famed martial arts actor and teacher, Bruce Lee. After being chosen for the role, Brandon could not have been more excited. He took this role seriously and brought real life - ironically - to the newly ressurrected character. 

Then, tragedy struck as Brandon, filming one of his final scenes, was shot to death accidentally - or was it. This has been the tragic question on everyone's mind since. Was Brandon really shot by accident or was there more meaning or negligence behind the shooting.

Some of the rumors have suggested that some non-union workers had found the prop guns and removed them, without permission, from their casings the night before the accident. They thought the guns were "cool" and went out to the lot to go shooting. After their play time was over, they replaced the guns, but carelessly, as they did not bother to check if all the chambers were empty.


The next day, the techs and crew had come onto the set and were to load the guns with dummy bullets. Upon inspection of the particular guilty gun, it must have appeared that the dummy slugs were in tact and the gun was put back. This, along with the previous night's activities, already add up to two counts of extreme negligence. Then guns were misused and then were not properly checked and rechecked by the very crew who's responsibility it was to do so. 

When the accident happened,
Brandon hit the ground and laid there while the cast and crew thought he was overacting and making another prank. Shortly thereafter did they realize what had occured. At this point, the Prop Master, Daniel Kuttner, had shot off some rounds in a test fire, thus blocking out any possible chance of police being able to do a proper ballistics check on the gun to see if indeed, as claimed, a "lodged" dummy head could have been in the chamber.


It turned out, regardless, that a live bullet had been fired directly into Brandon, killing him. Negiligence all the way around. But, could someone have figured out what the possibilities of such action could be? Could it have been planned? Brandon himself, that day, refused to wear his bullet-proof vest, and actually had stated, "If it's my time to go, then it's my time."


The mystery will continue forever as no one will be able to find out the truth. The tragedy however, remains as well as a testament that lack of attention and detail removed one of our most aspiring and promising young actors. 

Kemo D. (a.k.a. no.7)

Tags: mysteries of life
Comments for this post were disabled by the author